Quick Tips As You Head Back to the Classroom

Monday, July 16, 2018




Become efficient with your time as your prepare to head back to the classroom using these quick tips.

Tip #1- Know the environment you need to stay productive. 

If you are like me, you need things quiet even though you crave a conversation with those you missed seeing all summer on staff. This means I stay home and do all computer things there. When I arrive at school I print and copy. 
Another tip is to close the door and place a sign on it that reads, “I apologize in advance but I suffer from being distracted so I closed my door to get stuff done.” 

Tip # 2- Have a to-Do list. I

 I have used both digital and pre-made forms or grocery lists for this. My FREE editable printable is attached HERE as a freebie for you. (Color and Black&White available)





I also use the app. “Any List” I love that this app has a share feature. 





I can share it with my husband so he knows I’m knocking out my list😜 rather than chatting with my colleagues all day. I also use this app for grocery lists or packing for trips! Give it a try for free!

Tip #3- Treat Yourself Well

Treating yourself well doesn’t mean you need to have fancy coffees and catered lunches. (However, sometimes a teachers has to do what a teacher has to do)  It simply means to manage your time so you can take care of you. For me this means breaking the stuff I have to do into manageable chunks so I do not have to make emergency drive through runs to McDonalds. However, I do still drink my Diet Coke 😜 Once the calendar flips to August, I have four weeks until school begins. I take my to do list tasks in 1-2 hour chunks 3 times those first two weeks of the month. Then I increase my time 1-2 weeks prior to school beginning by going 4 hours 3 times. By week one prior to the first day of school, I’m in full out school mode due to meetings and open house night. I tie up any loose ends this final week and work a normal work week. 

Tip #4- Limit Multi-tasking- Say what?

 Isn’t that the ongoing job of a teacher? It seems like a skill every modern worker is expected to possess, but countless studies show time and time again that multitasking can actually limit productivity. Granted, there are times when you’ll need to multitask, and to be honest, it doesn’t look good if you get flustered whilst trying to talk on the phone and perform another simple task simultaneously. So, where possible, focus on one thing at a time.




No comments