Mental Thoughts on Upcoming Year

Friday, July 27, 2018
How Do You Feel About the Upcoming Year?




Sitting in the car anticipating our family vacation as we travel to Washington D.C. One of the perks of having two parents in education is that summers are off and we get to squeeze in some family vacations before the school year begins.



You may not believe me, but it is quiet in this mini-van. Gone are the days when my babies, who are now big kids, would scream out their demands or be throwing up from car sickness. So its quiet, for now and the new school year sneaks into my brain. Thoughts about the new goals and strategies I have for my year. There aren't many changes, but lots of new staff to meet. For the first time in many years, I will be teaching the same grade level for the third year in a row. Many teachers tell me year three is a good one because you get into a new kind of rhythm. I'm not sure if that is true, but I'm looking forward to what year three feels like.

I am thinking about the parents I will get to meet. Of the partnership we will get to share. They entrust me with their most precious gift for a whole year. It is always and honor. But most importantly, I hope they know that I will love their child like my own.

Then my mind drifts to our annual open house night and meeting the 22 kids on my list. Of those first moments and impressions we will have together. Of the things they will get to do: A scavenger hunt, new supplies, getting a desks and locker, and take home a secret envelope to read before the first day of school. So much excitement for the anticipated year ahead. All these things are fun, but not as important as the relationship that gets to begin on this day. That will be what we get to focus on as have our first day of school together the following day.

This one goes in the secret envelope





The stress, long days, grading, projects, field trips...etc. That will come, but its all worth it. I GET to TEACH. I get to help 22 students see Jesus through my actions and words each day. This is why I feel privileged to be in Christian Education. I can intertwine anything we learn into faith building experiences.  Our community in third grade will begin soon in my classroom and that is exciting!

How do you feel about starting the school year?

No comments