Looking at Strong and Weak Work

Thursday, December 29, 2016
















Using strong and weak examples in my teaching has proven to be powerful. I find it most powerful during writing instruction. My students enjoy being the teacher and sharing what they notice and what they think about the examples in my "Writing Scale" pack. Their 'learning target,' the goal, is right in front of them to see what they are shooting for to become a better writer.


Here is what is posted in my classroom. Students are shooting for 3 stars!



Students have seen my examples up close and we discuss. I ask the questions: What do you notice? What do you think? These questions help them put on their teacher glasses. 

After that, they get into groups and have an example paper like the ones below. They discuss how many stars the paper deserves. Then we come back to the carpet and close with a share out time. 








Strong and weak work really helps children because they know where they are at and they can really see where they are going. If you are interested checking out this product. You can find it at my store by clicking HERE!

Practice Worksheet

Success Criteria Description

Teacher Example


The first 10 people to respond to my post will get it free if they leave their e-mail.

No comments