Teaching Fractions in Third Grade

Sunday, January 3, 2021



To teach fractions in third grade, I use a multi sensory approach. Kids need manipulative, games, and repetitions. Let me show you what I mean!



1.) My number 1 favorite manipulative in teaching fractions is the fraction tiles! I have them to place in templates and I have magnets for my board. When I teach fractions on a number line I use two things. A paint stick with number lines marked and clothes pins with fractions. Students get to move the paper clip where they think it should go when I call out fractions. 





2.) I LOVE using power point and google slides! It makes instruction quick and easy. Especially with a concept such as fractions that requires a lot of drawings. 




3.) Games in person or using technology are another great way to teach fractions! Partnering kids up to learn how to problem solve is a life skill as well as an accountability tool!














No comments